1. The study of tissues is a. cytology b. histology c. molecular
biology d. microbiology e. surface anatomy
2. In a negative feedback mechanism, the response of the
effector a. reverses the original stimulus b. enhances the original
stimulus c. has no effect on the original stimulus d. is usually
damaging to the body e. creates a cycle that leads away from
3. Covalent bonds form when a. atomic nuclei fuse b. molecules
become ionized c. neutrons are transferred from one atom to another
d. protons are lost from atoms e. electrons are shared between two
4. Reactions that use water to split molecules apart are called
_______ reactions. a. dehydration b. synthesis c. hydrolysis d.
reversible e. oxidation
5. Proteins a. are the body’s source of immediate energy b. are
the building blocks of nucleotides c. provide much of the structure
of body cells and tissues d. contain the genetic information of the
cell e. insulate and cushion the body
6. The plasma membrane a. separates the nucleus from the rest of
the cell b. is a rigid protein membrane c. is not permeable d. has
a single layer of phospholipids e. regulates movement of materials
into and out of the cell
7. Channel proteins a. are binding sites for other molecules b.
utilize the G protein complex to function c. are found only on
endoplasmic reticulum d. allow cells to recognize one another e.
provide a “door” through which extracellular molecules can enter
8. Which of the following is a function of epithelial tissue? a.
conduction of action potentials b. secretion and absorption of
molecules c. support of other tissue types d. contraction e. shock
9. Adipose tissue a. functions as an insulator and a site of
energy storage b. exists in three forms: yellow, red, and brown c.
contains large amounts of extracellular matrix d. is composed of
relatively small cells e. does not contain lipids
10. Skin color is the result of the a. quantity of melanin in
the skin b. number of keratinocytes in the skin c. amount of fat in
the hypodermis d. thickness of the stratum basale e. number of
melanocytes in the skin
11. What does structure “B” represent on the diagram? a. hair
follicle b. arrector pili c. dermis d. hypodermis e. sebaceous
12. When blood calcium levels are low a. osteoclast activity
increases b. calcitonin secretion increases c. calcium absorption
is reduced d. bones produce more bone tissue e. osteoblast activity
The post The study of tissues appeared first on WGU Nursing Essays.