Reflection is a combination of cognition, emotion, and body sensations. Here is an approach to help you reflect well. Not only will you learn the information, but the process of reflection actually boosts the brains ability to make decisions.
1. Using a quiet mind and a quiet environment, be quiet and listen to your houghts. Reflection is quiet.
2. Step One is Critical Thinking: Ask questions like
- What did I learn that I expected? What did I learn that I didnt expect?
- How am I changed?
- What will I do with this information?
- How will I influence others with this information?
3. Step Two: Examine your own thinking. How was I thinking that? What was I thinking? Why? What were my biases, assumptions, etc?
4. Step Four (We skip gathering information.): After confidence to your learning based on the content covered, decide a writing core a focus.
5. Write in first person. Write with depth no surface only comments. Write with specificity. What exactly did you learn and what will you do with that new you?